Thursday, May 27, 2010

Classic Wet Flies, Part 2: Victoria & Victoria Green

Tied a few more winged wets last night and, predictably, I'm more pleased with the results.  Here's a pair of similar flies, the Victoria and the Victoria Green.  These are the first flies I've tied using jungle cock, and I've got to say, I was pleasantly surprised with how easily they were handled.  A week or two ago, I picked up a cheap "fishing grade" jungle cock neck, and was looking for a good opportunity to try using some of these beautiful feathers.  Though the nails pictured were in pretty good condition to begin with, I still "repaired" them, using a tiny amount of Sally Hansen's on the back of the feather, to hold the fibers together.

Both of these flies are tied on Mustad 3906B hooks.  Until I locate a good source of 3399s, these are great practice hooks, with a bit of extra shank length that gives me a little more "wiggle room" in the proportions of these flies.  As far as I know, the only liberties I took in design are the hooks, and opting for dark blue floss on the Victoria (the recipe in Bergman's book only specifies blue).

Anyone have any input on the history of this pattern?  I looked around a bit on the internet for information, but came up empty.

The Victoria

The Victoria Green

Victoria

Hook: Standard Wet Fly Hook size 4-10, (Mustad 3906B, size 8 shown)
Thread: UTC 70, light tan (body), Sheer 14/0, black (head)
Tag: Flat Tinsel, gold or silver (gold shown)
Tail: Golden Pheasant Tippet
Body: Blue Floss (Green Floss for Victoria Green)
Rib: Oval Tinsel, gold or silver (gold shown)
Hackle: Yellow
Wing: Brown Turkey, Jungle Cock

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants